About the Bureau
The Consumer Finance Bureau licenses and supervises financial service providers pursuant to the Idaho Residential Mortgage Practices Act, the Idaho Collection Agency Act, and the Idaho Credit Code. In administering these laws, the Bureau oversees a diverse field of consumer finance and credit services entities including mortgage service providers, regulated and payday lenders, collection agencies, credit or debt counselors, credit repair organizations, and debt settlement services.
The goal of the Bureau is to ensure the availability and quality of consumer financial services and lawful debt collection practices through licensing and compliance examinations, investigations, and consumer complaint review. In addition to the various forms of traditional consumer financial and credit services, the Bureau oversees companies that are currently using innovative technologies to provide services. These include electronic platforms using technology services, rather than individual interactions, to originate, decision, and fund consumer and mortgage loans.
Furthermore, the Bureau partners with the Consumer Affairs Officer to provide consumer education to Idaho citizens on topics related to mortgage lending, the use of credit, consumer fraud, and other consumer finance related topics.
Acts Enforced by the Consumer Finance Bureau
Read the Acts on the Idaho Legislature website
- Idaho Collection Agency Act
- Idaho Credit Code
- Idaho Residential Mortgage Practices Act
Idaho Financial Fraud Prevention Act (click to toggle list)
- Section 67-2750 – Short Title
- Section 67-2751 – Definitions
- Section 67-2752 – Financial Fraud Illegal
- Section 67-2753 – Employment or Affiliation of Certain Persons
- Section 67-2754 – Powers of Director
- Section 67-2755 – Injunctions – Other Remedies
- Section 67-2756 – Private Remedies
- Section 67-2757 – Institution of Criminal Proceedings
- Section 67-2758 – Criminal Penalties for Violations – Limitation of Actions
- Section 67-2759 – Criminal Punishment Under This Act Not Exclusive
- Section 67-2760 – Judicial Review of Orders
- Section 67-2761 – Administration of Act – Rules, Forms, and Orders
- Section 67-2762 – Administrative Public Hearings – Exception